Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. (HOT) Reports Second Quarter 2016 Loss
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) today reported second quarter 2016 financial results.
- Including special items which total a pre-tax loss of $130 million primarily from asset dispositions, EPS from continuing operations was a loss of $0.20. Excluding special items, EPS from continuing operations was $0.71. Net income of $0.08 per share from Vistana Signature Experiences, Inc. (“Vistana”), the Company’s former vacation ownership business, is not included in continuing operations.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $297 million, which includes operating earnings from the Company’s former vacation ownership business of $19 million and $2 million from the hotels transferred to Interval Leisure Group, Inc. (“ILG”) as part of the vacation ownership spin-off transaction, all of which are classified as discontinued operations.
- Including special items, loss from continuing operations was $35 million. Excluding special items, income from continuing operations was $121 million.
- Worldwide Systemwide REVPAR for Same-Store Hotels increased 1.4% in constant dollars (increased 0.7% in actual dollars) compared to 2015. Systemwide REVPAR for Same-Store Hotels in North America increased 3.4% in constant dollars (increased 3.1% in actual dollars).
- Management fees, franchise fees and other income increased 7.1% compared to 2015. Core fees increased 3.9% compared to 2015.
- During the quarter, the Company signed 120 hotel management and franchise contracts, representing approximately 21,400 rooms and opened 20 hotels and resorts with approximately 4,200 rooms.
- During the quarter, the Company paid a quarterly dividend of $0.375 per share.
- During the quarter, the Company completed the sale of The St. Regis Florence and The Westin Excelsior Florence hotels for cash proceeds of approximately $213 million, subject to long-term management agreements.
- On April 8, 2016, at special stockholder meetings, the stockholders of the Company and Marriott International, Inc. (“Marriott”) approved proposals relating to Marriott’s acquisition of the Company.
- On May 11, 2016, the Company completed the spin-off of Vistana, its former vacation ownership business, and merger of Vistana with and into a subsidiary of ILG immediately following the spin-off, through a Reverse Morris Trust transaction.